Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Invisible Illness

I had no idea there was such a thing as National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week. I’ve never even heard of the concept of invisible illness, but that certainly captures something important. Looking normal and feeling crummy can be isolating.

The invisible illness web site has a great list of ways people respond to “You look so good!” Here are a few:

  • It’s up and down.
  • I’m still struggling, but it IS nice to have a day when I am able to pull myself together and make it out of the house!
  • Good, because if I looked like I feel it would scare you to death.
  • Thanks, I’m grateful for this good day.
  • Things aren’t always what they seem.
  • Praise God, I’m glad that he enables me to look so much better than I feel.
  • Thanks, that’s God’s joy shining through!
This is a hard one for me, especially at church. I am reserved in most settings and even more so as “the pastor’s wife.” Somewhere I got the idea that the pw should be perky and sweet on Sunday mornings. I’m seriously reconsidering that, but it’s a hard habit to break.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for using this space to share your encouraging words.